Friday, August 19, 2011

Meet the Teacher Craziness

You know those days that should be great and just really don't turn out that way?  That was today in a huge way.  Today was the Friday before school starts - Meet the Teacher Day. It's always a mix of anxiety and excitement as the kids open the packets they are handed in the cafeteria and then head down the hall to meet the people they will soon be spending most of their waking hours with.  Kenna was so funny, she got her packet, handed it to me and said, "don't tell me who I have until I see her".  I guided her down the hallway, and low and behold her teacher was Ms. Hicks who I have been telling her she would get all summer.  She knows Ms. Hicks' son and I think we were both happy to see her name on Kenna's sheet. 
Kenna & Ms. Hicks                                               Max with Ms. Dove
As we tromped from room to room meeting Kenna's other 2 teachers, I was doing my best to keep the younger boys in tow.  Being 9:30am, I thought bringing all the kids wouldn't be a problem.  Boy was I wrong!  Cade began to tantrum by the time we got to Max's homeroom with Ms. Dove.  We tried everything but he was full out screaming, throwing, kicking and hitting.  We did our best to talk but rushed out of the room and Max still had 2 teachers to meet.  He buzzed into the science room and when I followed him, he said, "Mom, can you please stay out in the hall with Cade - it's too embarrassing."  My poor almost 5th grader!  He did his best to introduce himself to the teachers with Cade MELTING outside the classrooms.  It wasn't a quality experience.  
As soon as we were able, we hightailed it out of there only to discover that there were no keys!!!  Seriously.  We searched my bag in the 100+ heat with Cade still screaming, Brett beginning to cry, and all of us frustrated.  I sent Max back to look through all the classrooms, checked at the office and nothing!  I called Mike in desperation, begging him to pick up our foaming 2-year-old before the situation became dangerous (as in me).  After 15 more minutes, he picked up Cade but had no keys or room for us in his car.  Seeing my desperation, a friend offered to drive us to get a spare key (and meet Kenna's friend who was waiting at our house) and took us back to the school.  The whole ordeal left me near tears and ready to give up - no matter what, we always seem to be the spectacle; the family that can't get it together.  I have a plaque that says, "It's never to late to start the day over."  Let's hope. Turns out Cade had not slept much the previous night with his new found freedom and was totally exhausted. And now we all are.  Let's hope the ordered crib tent brings back some sense of normalcy.  

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Sheesh! I remember this story too... Worst place to loose your keys ever - in the lining of your purse. So sorry my friend!