While it almost seems like forever ago, I can't not mention our trip to New York. Every year Mike takes a client of his to one day of the US Open and for the 2nd year in a row, I got to come along! We stayed in a wonderful Marriott right in Times Square - I love how alive it is there. All the people, lights, shops, plays, and restaurants - it is just electrifying. I could have just walked around people watching for the 3 days and been completely happy.
I loved being able to rush into a bakery each morning to pick up something wonderful. Everything looked so good - why not have a cupcake for breakfast?
Since Mike has been to the Open several years in a row, he has got the system down - you sit in the stadium that has no assigned seating and move your way down until you are right there on center court. They got those seats and didn't move despite the blazing sun. But they were right - being that close to the action, you could feel the speed of the ball and see every emotion on the players faces. Such an opportunity - it is just amazing to watch the athletes in action, you can't help but be excited.
This is a picture of the huge hall the immigrants had to wait in for hours and hours, in hopes that they would be pass the inspection and be granted admittance into the United States.
Thid is a picture of the Manhattan skyline through a window in the Ellis Island hall. To think that so many millions of people passed through this hall after having traveled so far and given up so much to come to America, hoping their journey had finally ended. And as they waited, they looked out the window and this is what they saw, America - so close but yet not quite yet in their grasp. What would it have been like to be that close - what were their thoughts and emotions? It makes me wonder....
Mike found the name of his great, great grandfather on the wall at Ellis Island - looking at it, I could not help but be grateful to that man and many others who came to America and in doing so have allowed us to enjoy the freedoms and privileges we do today.
One last highlight for me at Ellis Island was discovering a Japanese tour group. (I served a mission for my church in Japan and love the Japanese culture, language, and people - but I am rarely around it anymore.) So like a nerd, I followed the group around just listening until I finally got up the nerve to say something. It was so fun to be able to use my Japanese again - yes, it's rusty but good to know it's still there and that people who speak it can understand me! So happy day for me.
We also ate at some great restaurants, saw a Broadway play, and shopped. I wouldn't mind one bit if we spent every Labor day weekend this way! :)
8 comments:
Looks like a blast! It always surprises me that with all the traveling your family does, you guys haven't spent that much time in NY. But, I would like to spend every Labor Day there as well....and maybe a few more trips. Glad you had fun!
I would love a cupcake like that for breakfast!
Sounds like you have started a tradition, you'd better keep it up!
how fun! I finally found your blog...now I just have to get caught up!
What a fun trip! Ellis Island is probably my most favorite site to visit other than Wall Street when I am in New York. I remember having the same feelings you expressed when I was there. I can't even imagine how those people felt that had to stay there and were never allowed to go to the main land. We are so blessed!
Crazy I have never been to NYC being my dad is from NY. We only traveled upstate where family was. Some day I will get there. Right now I am just living vicariously through you and all your travels :)
I am so jealous. That is truly my happiest place on earth!!!
hello mimi! i remembered that you had an interest in my MINI DIARIES. i launched a new shop with a new crop of diaries.. you can pre-order them now for the holidays. i thought you might be interested! check my blog for more details. thanks!
pre order here: www.minimart.bigcartel.com
Post a Comment