Friday, May 15, 2009

Mother's Day

"While we tend to equate motherhood solely with maternity, in the Lord's language, the word mother has layers of meaning.  Of all the words they could have chosen to define her role and her essence, both God the Father and Adam called Eve "the mother of all living," and they did so before she ever bore a child.  Like Eve, our motherhood began before we were born.  Motherhood is more than bearing children...It is the essence of who we are as women."  - Sheri Dew
This year I really felt like a mother - both inside and out. Every morning I awake to a bumping and thumping in my stomach, soon followed by the sounds of the pitter patter of Brettster boy as he runs into our room and climbs into our bed. Seeing as I was reluctant to get out of bed on Mother's Day - I soon had 3 little munchkins in my bed - climbing everywhere! Max was so sweet and decided to bring me breakfast in bed despite the fact that his dad was already working on it. He put together a HUGE bowl of Cheerios with bananas - which both Brett and I enjoyed. That was followed up with Mike's famous banana pancakes and berries - by that point I was quite full but my 3 little helpers helped and quickly gobbled it up. I have to say, I love being a mom to these 3 - there are many days that I am tired, sometimes frustrated, feel under appreciated, etc - but then there are those little moments every day that you wouldn't trade for the world, to be the center of someone's world; to be needed/wanted/loved; to see the world through a child's eyes; to find joy in their successes/growth/goodness; to see their sweet and sincere smiles - nothing is sweeter than that.

On mother's day, my typical "mom" duties are taken over for the day so I only had to worry about getting myself ready for the day AND ... we made it to church on time and got to sit in the SOFT seats. I came home and enjoyed wonderful dinner prepared by my loving husband and beautiful chair decorations from Kenna (she made one for Dad too so he wouldn't feel sad). Max made me a wonderful card which promised me back rubs and basketball lessons (his poor uncoordinated mother). and Kenna gave me the cutest little flower - she did owe me since she took all the roses Dad bought up to her room and would NOT part with them. Then there was still time for a nap, some ice cream cake, and a family drive - oh, what a day! After the kids were all in bed, Mike said, "After a day of being "Mimi", I am totally worn out and I'm not even pregnant!" That might have been the best comment ever - just having someone get it. :)

4 comments:

Jason.Ashley.Kyler.Camden said...

Happy Mothers Day! Glad it was a relaxing one for you!!

Cath said...

That's awesome - what a great comment from your hubby. So glad to see you were appreciated! Hang in there these last few weeks! Thinking of you!

Rachel Hudgins said...

I love Mother's Day just for that reason alone...Jason always says at the end of the day..."I don't know how you do this EVERY day." It always makes me feel great!

Makell said...

I love your husbands comment about being Mimi - that is great!