Sunday, February 26, 2012

Baptism

It's hard to believe my little girl is 8.  Today was her baptism day and it was just as special as we hoped it would be.  Grandma and Grandpa, Grandy,  and Michael, Jen, and kids all flew in for the big day.  Kenna and a cute girl named Kaylie were both going to be baptized so we girled things up a bit.  The program was pink, we had a cute slide show of the girls growing up (tears of course!), and Kenna, Kaylie, Ellie, and Elena sang the song "Baptism".  I sang the same song with my sisters at my baptism. For me, it was a moving full circle moment.  Those girls brought such a sweet spirit - I don't think I was the only one feeling emotional.
Then it was time for the baptisms.  With almost 100 people out to support these 2 little girls, it was a full room.  Kenna was calm and smiling as she entered that warm water, she smoothed her dress down and took her father's hand.  It was over almost before you knew it but the crucial words, "I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" had been spoken by one holding the priesthood authority and Kenna was immersed in the water.  It's hard to describe the swelling of joy and pride one feels as they witness their child making such a big decision, to follow the example of Jesus Christ, all on their own.  Kenna was beautiful; beaming.
Afterwards, Kenna's Grandy gave a fantastic talk about the Holy Ghost and the 4 things it does for us.  It protects and warns us, it comforts us, it teaches us and helps us remember things, and it testifies of Christ and things are that are true.  She used a mouse trap to demonstrate that there are many traps in life but by listening to the promptings of the Holy Ghost, we can avoid these traps.  We closed the program by singing "Where Love Is".  This song was written by Kenna's great-grandmother and while it isn't a typical baptism song, this is the song Kenna wanted on the program.  It turned out to be very fitting, "Where love is, there God is also, Where love is, we want to be.  Guide us his truths to follow..." While Grandma Norma is no longer with us, I couldn't help but feel that she knew what was happening and was very proud of her great-granddaughter for this step of faith and righteousness.  How grateful I am for the legacy of faith and goodness that we come from - as family, we are forever intertwined.
We had a spread of goodness to enjoy as everyone visited.  It was a joyful occasion and we were so blessed to share it with so many friends and family.
Kristy, Jen, and Michael took care of all the food setup - so nice to have one less thing to worry about.
That night we headed to Outback (Kenna's favorite restaurant) for a celebratory meal. It was a little chaotic, as eating out with our 4 kiddos always is, but definitely enjoyable with all our extra company.  Thank you family who were able to fly in - you made the weekend perfect!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I feel like I got to be there in a way. What a happy day! She looked absolutely gorgeous! You did a great job Mama Mimi. And I love that she picked "Where Love Is."