Sunday, February 19, 2012

It's Great to Be 8!

Today, Kenna is 8 and with that magical changing of numbers, comes all our birthday goodness.  After a night of partying and chocolate, she woke up to find her door decorated a card filled with candy and sweets.  
Birthdays on Saturdays are the best, after a bit of lounging, Kenna decided we should go to IHop for a birthday breakfast.  I brought along one birthday gift for her to open during breakfast.  It was fun to see her reaction unfold...
Earings, that's nice but I don't have my ears pierced, I wonder - could this mean..?, I'm getting my ears pierced!!!  Once Kenna figured it out, she was so excited and ready to go take care of it right away BUT, first we had to have some more well wishes for her birthday.  
All the waiters and waitresses came to sing to her!  Kenna didn't know this was done and she was SO embarrassed.  It was the funniest thing.  She told me she would NOT be going back to IHOP on her birthday ever again.  Luckily, I don't think any permanent damage was done. Once Brett finished up his food, we immediately headed to Claires.  The wouldn't let us take any pictures inside but Kenna was very brave.  She picked out amethyst earings and hardly flinched when her ear was pierced.  I remember searing pain but she handled it like a pro and was ready to get the other ear pierced right away.  
Something about those pierced ears makes her seem older.  She has been waiting for a year, hoping this day would someday come.  It almost felt like a right of passage.  Kenna is diligent about putting on her ointment and twisting her earrings - I'm grateful that her excitement translates into responsibility.
The day was all about the birthday girl and we all enjoyed the present opening and family dinner that night. Kenna gets as excited about birthdays as I do, she is one fun girl to celebrate with. So glad she is a part of our home and family.
8 Things I Love About Kenna
1. She loves to plan surprises
2. She likes glitter, painted nails, and girly stuff
3. She tries new things and sticks with them
4. She is confident in who she is
5. She is great with younger kids!  The girl really has skills.
6. Kenna is great at making friends
7. She has taken over doing her own hair and picks out all her outfits & does a good job!
8. She knows what's right and often surprises us with how much she truly understands

Happy Birthday Boo!  I will never forget the day you flew into our lives - like Dad says, just like a rocket!  We love you, love you, love you!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

What a fun day and such an awesome girl! I love that Kenna Benna Girl. She really is so good with younger kids. I could borrow her anytime you're willing to send her my way. I forgot she got her ears pierced. I don't think it really hurts though Mims....good thing you had to wait until you were 13! You needed to toughen up! Way to celebrate mama mimi! You are the coolest!