Friday, January 30, 2009

Around the World Day

At our local elementary school, each grade celebrates a different cultural day where a whole day set aside to dress up, play games, make crafts, try new foods, etc.   It is always a lot of fun - last year we got to experience Egyptian Day and this year, as a second grader, Max embarked on Around the World Day.  The kids went to Africa, Columbia, North America - USA, Canada, China, Europe, and Brazil.  I would have loved to experience every station along with the kids but stuck to sharing the European Bistro experience with several classes (Max said the food station was his favorite anyway - so I must have been volunteering at the right spot).  The kids had croissants and cheese from France; Italian ice, olives, grapes, and bread w/olive oil from Italy; and scones and tea from England.  
(Max in African safari gear and chef Mimi)
Max came home with coins, chocolates, binoculars, a passport, an African mask and more - all too often I feel like school is too regimented - I'm glad they have days like these every once in a while to break things up and very glad that I get to be a part of them too!  Next year - Roman Day!!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Mimi, you and your kids are amazing! We just had our annual "Snow Ball", kids screaming, running around bumping into each other. (Is it mean to laugh "at" your kids...they dance so cute!) Jacob's 11 now, and at first he was waaayyy to cool, but at the end of the dance, he had a great time! Love you tons, we need to plan a trip! Jenny