| Lori, Allyson (her parents spoke and we hunted her down), and me |
| Our group - 2 were new to me and the connection was immediate! |
At the end of April, I switched places with my mother-in-law, I went to Utah and she came to Texas to take care of my 4 kids so that I could join some old roommates and dear friends at BYU's annual Women's Conference. The weather was freezing - seriously snow everyday. But the company was fabulous, there was so much to share and catch up on that sleep was just an inconvenience. Tanya, hosted me at her house on Wednesday but was so swamped trying to meet her magazine's deadline that she couldn't make it to much of the weekend. The speakers were fabulous. I especially loved a class entitled "Quench Not the Spirit" which addressed how we must live our lives in a way so that we can feel and follow promptings from the Lord. Anger, fear, and trying to make our will the Lord's will all get in the way and cloud our ability to know what the Lord has in mind for our individual lives. The older I get, and the more little people I have looking to me, the more I realize I don't know what I am doing and NEED the Lord's guiding hand in my life at all times. I cannot afford to quench the Spirit!
Julie B. Beck also gave a wonderful talk and touched on the need to prioritize our lives into 3 categories:
1. The Essential - reading scripture, personal prayer, making and keeping covenants, sharing the gospel, service
2. The Necessary - cleaning, cooking, smiling, teaching my children, family home evening, being kind & supporting my spouse
3. The Nice to Do - crafts, reading, lunches, travel, hobbies
"When...our time is devoted to those nice-to-do things, our priorities are out of order, we lose power."
So many uplifting and wise thoughts - I couldn't help but be enriched.
Of course, running into so many people who have impacted me in past - well that was priceless. I ran into a large group of women from my freshman dorm and was able to join them for dinner. Hearing their trials and triumphs and life experiences was so enriching. I admire and cherish them - I can't help but think of the hymn, "Each life that touches ours for Good" - my life has been touched for good by so many. And the joy that comes when our paths suddenly cross again - indescribable.
| Freshman girls - Jen, Suzy, Liff, Kim, Patti, Banker, me, and Periconi |
2 comments:
it was so fun to see you at womens conference. hopefully next year we can really spend some time catching up. you are awesome!
Yea! I'm glad you opened up your blog again...I kept meaning to get your email to 'let me in'! :)
I'm so glad you put pics up of Women's Conference - that has become one of my favorite things to do each year and it has been really fun to see you and get to know you better. Looking forward to it again..!
Post a Comment