Sunday, April 29, 2012

New York Get-Away

Mike had some meetings in Chicago but when he realized no great shows were playing there, he suggested we go to New York the weekend before rather than hanging out in the windy city.  I was more than happy with that arrangement.  We started our trip at Highline - an elevated outdoor park along some old train tracks.  It was windy and cold (something we aren't accustomed to in TX) but there were great views and it had a very NY feel.  I attempted a self portrait - I look like I'm in pain but in reality we had a great time,  I'm just not great at picture taking. :)
We ventured through a market of the cute little shops and vegetable/flower stands and grabbed some yummo hot chocolate at a place my cousin suggested.  Then we tried a NY steak house (TX steakhouses had that one beat) and hurried back to the hotel to change for Phantom that night. We had no luck hailing a taxi to the show, so when a bicycle rickshaw pulled up, we thought it would be a fun little adventure.  Our cart was enclosed and heated with music piped in - we enjoyed it until...we were dropped off and told that we owed the driver $80!!  It was only a few blocks.  The theater employees gave us a hard time about arriving in a rickshaw and noted that it would be the first and last time we did that.  Boy, are they right!  The show was wonderful just like I remembered (I last saw it at age 14).  Afterwards, we strolled Time Square, taking in the lights, life, and energy of it all.  There's something I love about that place that never seems to sleep!  
The next morning we slept in (woohoo!) and decided to head to Norma's for brunch despite not having a reservation.  This place came highly recommended and it did not disappoint!  Huge breakfasts that were oh, so yummy!  Mike had some Honey Mango crepes and I had a huge veggie omelet but looking around at our neighbors plates made us wish we could sample a bite of everything.  When then walked through central park where we noticed no one was taking the rickshaws.  Central Park is such a jewel - this beautiful place inside such a crowded city.  We watched the soccer games, people running and doing yoga, relaxed in the greenery, and soaked in the goodness of nature and open spaces.  We were on our way to the Manhattan temple - I had heard about it but never seen it.  We had directions but walked right past it - it blends in with the museum on one side and the banking building right across from it.  Our map said it was right there so we walked back a bit and sure enough, etched in the stone was, The Church of Jesus 
Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Walking in the building we were met by security and told to take the elevator up to the temple.  Exiting the elevator doors felt like entering another world, so peaceful and removed from the noise and hustle of the city.  We were able to participate in sealings and enjoyed meeting some some of the NYC locals who were also there to serve.  Afterwards, we hit this huge warehouse-like store called Century 21. Digging was involved but I found a few fun things, we both got sunglasses, and Mike scored a snazzy new watch.  We continued our shopping day and hit FAO Schwartz, The NBA Store, The American Girl Store, and lots of other fun places. 

We headed to Max Brenner's Chocolate with the Bald Man for dinner - scrumptious!  I had truffle mac and cheese and Mike got something wonderful too - we were literally licking our plates clean.  And then the dessert!  Mike got the lava cake and I had a caramel/banana waffle with vanilla ice cream.  It's good there is so much walking in NY or I'm sure I would gain more than a few pounds.  That night it was off to Mama Mia - a fun show but Mike's experience was dampered by the smell of feet - turns out the lady next to him was removing her shoes during the show.  It was pretty awful but I couldn't help but laugh a bit at his total discomfort.  I need to work on empathy I think.  Sunday we didn't have time for much - a late breakfast at a nearby bistro and packing up.  It was a wonderful trip - next time we'll just have to squeeze in one more day.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Sounds awesome! I love Norma's and I love the story about the feet. You guys know how to party!