Monday, April 20, 2009

Poison Ivy - for real!

I'm not going to post any nasty pictures but seriously, I have been itching like crazy from an outbreak of poison ivy I got almost 2 weeks ago. I helped out at a youth service project -- we were clearing brush and beautifying a cemetery downtown. I wore long sleeves, pants, etc., but I gave my gloves away to girls that didn't have any and well, the end result was ugly blisters that itch like Hades and pop up everywhere!! I've never had this before, but I will do everything in my power to make sure I NEVER get it again - especially when I am 8 months pregnant!! I'll take any advice - I have already tried several drug store topical scrubs/sprays/creams, Windex, Vick's vapor rub, hair spray, the hair dryer, ice cubes, Palmolive, and even read that white shoe polish will take away some of the torture. This little plant that causes so much havoc is also known as the "Devil's plant" - I've come to think that's a pretty fitting name.

4 comments:

Makell said...

Hi Mimi!
That sounds absolutely miserable - on top of being prego!
Are you heading out for women's conference this year?
Tanya was cool enough to let me stay at her house this year since Lori is only going for the day. I'm looking forward to it -

Mindi said...

Wow- we live identical lives in so many ways, I also received poison ivy on a service project with the youth (habitat for humanity) lucky the girls were smarter than me and knew to stay clear of it, I was knee deep in it when someone informed me what it was. The ONLY thing that cured me was a cortizone shot (in the behind)- I don't know if you can get those being pregnant. Good Luck!!
oh- I also took Benadryl at nights to sleep.

Jason.Ashley.Kyler.Camden said...

That is aweful! I am so sad it has gottne worse! Hopefully it was gone by the time you got to go to Chicago!! I'm sad i didn't get to go this year. I was so jealous thinking about you shopping during the day! I loved the shopping last year!

Anyhow- good luck with the poison ivy and I want to hear about your purchases- if there were any bc i know being pregnant it was probably not as much fun to get to clothes shop for you:(!!

Kelly and Dane Valatka said...

Ok, so this is going to sound really gruesome and you may not want to try it. But it works for me. I'm highly allergic to Poison Ivy, and got it all the time as a kid. What I did, was .... take something plastic with a somewhat sharp edge,(not pointy - but elongated instead) and scratch it open till it bleeds. Then poor alcohol on it. It cleans and drys it out, and then it scabs over. Scabs are better then itching any day. I know it sounds brutal and painful. But when you itch soooooo bad, it almost hurts so good, if that makes sense. Try it on a small area first and see if you can handle it. It works for me every time. Kinda gross huh. But hey if it works, your misery is soon over.