Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mother's Day

I love being a mother. I have always loved children and for so long dreamed of having my own someday. There are days that I almost have to pinch myself and think - "I am a mom. I really am a mom." I often don't feel grown-up enough to be one. Of course there are other days when the fact that I am a mom is much too real. What a responsibility and blessing it is to have these special spirits in my care and to try to raise them to be confident, happy, and giving individuals. I know I often fall short but I am doing my best just one day at a time. I have read the following by Anna Quindlen several times lately and it hits me everytime. My kids are now 6, 4, and 1 just like her children once were and I find that her biggest mistake is often mine too. May we all live more in the moment and enjoy this time - it is sure to pass all too quickly.

"But the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three of them sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4 and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. " - Anna Quindlen

6 comments:

Angie said...

Mimi you are one of the best mom's I know. It shows how much you have looked forward to it!
I also love this essay, it motivates me to soak up every minute. Chicago's pretty close to Cleveland...next time you'll have to come here :)

Rachel Hudgins said...

I love this essay too. I keep reading it over and over. I am one of those moms who gets caught up in the schedule instead of the moment. I am trying my best to enjoy the moment and be the mom my kids need. It's tougher some days....but thanks for sharing this ...I love reading it.

Tanya said...

You are such a good mommy! I am trying to enjoy every minute and not be too rigid. I really am trying!

KatieMartin said...

Mimi,
You look so beautiful in this picture. The radiance from your face shows just how much motherhood suits you!

Jaynann said...

Thank you for that! I have heard this quote before and it's so true. I think so many of us as mothers struggle with being in the moment. Thanks for the reminder :)

Kate said...

I needed that quote! It's so true. I always feel like I'm rushing to go to the next event, etc. or to get the house clean or cook dinner. I need to slow down!
love ya.