Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Women's conference

Well, after Chicago - I had 2 1/2 days to get ready for Women's conference at my old alma mater - Brigham Young University! I had been so looking forward to this. Two of my old room-mates had invited me up for some girl time and spiritual/emotional rejuvination. It was sooo fun to be with Lori and Tanya again (Amy next time you have to come too) - we caught up, ordered Jamba juice, enjoyed PF Changs and gleened wonderful insights from many individuals I have admired for years. I was able to attend the 2nd day of the conference with my mother-in-law, Chris. She is such a loving mother and friend and a wonderful example to me. I definitely came home feeling refreshed, inspired, and rejuvenated. Now if I can only apply some of these things into my everyday life.

From Sheri Dew:
- We don't really understand how the Lord uses us but he does use us. We are a sleeping giant and it's time for us to wake up and arise.
- It is impossible NOT to have an influence. We all have the potential to change the world.
- "It is not up to you to be lad by the world - but to lead the world" (quote from Joseph F. Smith)
From a panel of mothers:
- Make time each day to do something for yourself
- SLOW DOWN and refocus try to see your children the way the Lord sees them
- Choose to focus on joy, peace, love, and laughter in your home
- When we feast upon the scriptures, pray, and attend the temple our ability to LOVE increases
- Find JOY in the journey
- We should worry more about what the LORD thinks of you than what of others think

Class on Family Scripture Study - by Vicki Matsumori:
- Who is really educating your children - TV, computers, music, etc. - shouldn't it be you?
- The purpose of study is really to help our children feel thier Savior's love and come to him - it doesn't have to be long
- Read, draw, act out, and share experiences as you study together

Diane and Jon Bytheway:
- Faith and fear cannot coexist - doubts and fears will do us no good
- F.E.A.R. = False Expectations Appearing Real
- The Lord does not want us to fail
- It's hard to have a negative attitude about anything when your life is focused on the Prince of Peace

Teaching Children to Work:
- Work is a spiritual necessity even if it's not economically necessary
- Plant seeds of work early
- Establish a family routine or it won't stick
- Celebrate work - take pictures of your kids working and proudly display them in your home
- Work with your children and LAUGH more often!

4 comments:

KatieMartin said...

I like the comments about work. I would never have thought to take pictures of my kids doing WORK, but I'm going to. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Something I leared recently: The Holy Spirit brings us together for a purpose at certain times in our lives. Although it is sometimes difficult to answer His call, we should be open to that purpose because when we allow ourselves to be a part of if, amazing things will follow. I have recently answered a call, and I have been feeling like I won the "spiritual lottery." I am fascinated by the changes it has brought to our family and the joy it has brought to my life.

Makell said...

Hi Mimi!
Just saw your blog from Tanyas and thought I would say hello! I had a great time at Women's Conference - hopefully we'll all be there again next year!

Jaynann said...

More great information. Thanks for this. It really uplifted me today! I love Women's Conference, maybe next year!

Jenn Knight said...

These are great- thanks for posting. One of the little things we miss out on here in the mission field.