Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Treat or Torture?



Not far from us are several berry farms.  With swim team in the morning, we can't get out there super early but I had decided that if we went right after practice, it wouldn't be too hot.  My kids quickly informed me that I was WRONG!  We were dropped off by a tractor in the rows of blackberry bushes.  Kenna picked 5, Max picked a few handfuls and the boys pretty much boycotted.  In no time they were looking for that tractor to take them back to the air-conditioned car.  Meanwhile, as we walked back, I was frantically picking away at the bushes, trying to make our outing worthwhile.  We got to a shed filled with table and hay and quickly gulped down water.  There was a playground nearby but it was out in the sunshine - suddenly the heat wasn't so bothersome anymore.  The kids were happy to play and almost forgot about the tractor home until it pulled up.  I'm guessing berry-picking just felt like too much work.  We went home with a decent haul but I'm not sure I can convince them to come with me again next year.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

At least they had an excuse! My boy wouldn't pick even one berry when I took him this summer and it was plenty cool out. Glad that it wasn't all a bust and that they had a great playground!